Faith, Fun, Fashion, & Family

Faith, Fun, Fashion, & Family

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Travelers Cottage Bedroom

For the last few years, we have been slowly painting and decorating every room in our wonderful home. 
Our bedroom was the one room that was just not right...
I could not figure out what direction to go with it. 

So, I began looking for inspiration for what I wanted to do. 
I discovered 
Shannon Berry's "Paint by Number" room!
http://shannonberrey.com/_blog/Shannon_Berrey_Design_Blog/post/Paint_by_number_final_reveal/
I looked at the room for so long. I did not want to and knew I never could have it exactly like this. 
I rolled up my sleeves and painted, worked with what I already had, stole things from other rooms in the house, bought things at Goodwill, scavenged at Canton Tradedays, and busted out the sewing machine. 

I used this Navajo type fabric from Canton to use for pillows.
This Great Lakes embroidered pillow was in the living room.

I found this sweet planter at Canton Tradedays to put a succulent in next to my side of the bed.

We took the giant map from the living room to go behind the bed my husband threw together.
We painted the bed a light turquoise color. 


We used a ladder to display our quilts, vintage suitcases to hold out television, 



A chip clip to display family photos, 


Used our previous collection of Paint by Numbers to cover the wall...
we need to do some filling in.


We already had a giant collection of small and large Alpine Trinkets in the living room above the fireplace. 
We just took some out and added them in the room.


We used out mirror from before, but it fit right into the theme of the room.
This has always been one of our most favorite pieces. 

We gave this window wall a "pop" of color by adding antique globes along the shelf.

We used mini sombreros as tie backs for the plaid curtains purchased from Lowe's.
A small wooden shoe holds another succulent plant.

I love TV, but hate the hard edges of the ugly things.
So, to soften the lines, we added suitcases beneath and a duck family figurine in front. 
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the results of our redo.
I have to thank my husband Shannon for trusting my color decisions and digging and digging through fabrics and junk to help me put the look together. 
He did have the ingenous idea of the tie-back sombreros that is one of my favorite details!
I love you!
This is the two of us at Canton Tradedays eating cornydogs after a long day on the creative prowl. 


THE BEFORE...
I have a post from my Art Teaching blogpage with pictures our house decorated before some changes.. 
see our room there to decide if you like the makeover...
http://tabithaannthelostsock.blogspot.com/2012/04/our-home-and-my-favorite-places-in-it.html
I love it so much better now. 
It is my new favorite room!


1 comment:

  1. Looks great, Tabitha! Congrats on such a fun re-do!
    Shannon

    Shannon Berrey Design
    www.shannonberrey.com

    ReplyDelete