Faith, Fun, Fashion, & Family

Faith, Fun, Fashion, & Family

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Creative Process, guided by the Spirit



Every time I create a piece of artwork related to my Creator, something special happens inside of me. I feel as though the Holy Spirit fills me up and aides me in the entire creative process. It is a very intimate time of worship with me. I just disappear into the spirit realm and let Him take control of my every creative movement. I decided to document each part of this special project. This is a faith based drawing, but the idea came from a client's imagination. He told me that he wanted a picture like this for a while now and explained to me the image in his mind. I find it challenging to work with others images, simple because if they do not collide, the client will be disappointed. They have to rely on my image as well to collide with their own giving me some freedom to roam. But, I really wanted to take the offer since it is a spiritual picture and that is my legacy to Create for My Creator. 
So, as I communicated with the client, he told me he wanted A boy and girl walking down a path while holding Jesus' hand leading into a spread out area of redwood trees. The path leading to a sunrise and the viewer seeing this scene from behind. He wanted it to look like they were starting their morning with Jesus...

So, I got images online of redwood trees, sunrises, and kids walking while holding hands (never did find the perfect one though). I printed the images for reference and began by using my original small simple design as a jumping board (see below).



I started by lightly drawing in the images with pencil and then outlining them with thick and thin permanent markers. I left the distant trees and details uninked to appear as though there was atmospheric perspective. (see below image)



After I completed the drawing one night, I could not go to bed just thinking about how I would use color to make the image really come to life. This is one of my GREATEST passions in life... COLOR! I was super ready to get it started but knew I wanted to sleep on it before I began the following day. So the next morning, I got out my 50 pack of Crayola colored pencils and started on the sunrise. This was the part I was most inspired by from my reference images. I wanted it to appear as though the sun was so sharp and bright that it burst out past the horizon line. That kind of light that you have to squint at, you know? I then put the cool dark shadows of purple and blue into the redwood tree trunks. (see below image)


Then I worked all of the amber gold colors of the sunset into the light side of the trees to capture the powerful warmth of the sun's comfort. I really worked hard to make the trees closest to the sun appear lighter and airier than the ones closer to the viewer. I think this helps us feel that the further we walk down the path with Christ, the closer we are to hope and light. The path far from Him is dark and lonely. 


I put off the people till last really because I feel very self consious about my people drawing skills. I did not find the perfect picture to look at to draw the images, so I had to imagine what they would look like in my head and what the body would be doing as they walked. I drew the pencil lines for them so many times I almost wore the paper out. But, I feel as though I did the best I could. Coloring them gave me more confidence that I could camouflage any line drawing imperfections by drawing the eye to the forms. Everything looks better with color (in my opinion).


The walkers from a different angle... 

The sun was so fun for me. I love what the source of light can do to a picture, turning it from flat to fabulous. I love using cool dark colors (blue, green, violet) for the shade rather than black. Then I mix in warm tones (gold, yellow, orange, red, peach, and pink) to give the lighter side some sassy splash. 
I had a really fun time drawing the ferns. I thought they would be a pain, but they were really fun and easy for me...

So, by the end of the whole process I feel a sense of accomplishment that My Maker with me did something together successfully. On my own, it may not have been as much. I encourage you to take what you love and glorify the Lord with it, giving Him control to work through you. I find that in this process, I learn more about my Creator as I create.

See more of my faith based creations here..
http://thelostsocklife.blogspot.com/p/my-art.html






No comments:

Post a Comment