Faith, Fun, Fashion, & Family

Faith, Fun, Fashion, & Family

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Jeremiah 17: 7-8 Spirit illustration


Jeremiah 17:7-8
Amplified Bible (AMP)
"[Most] blessed is the man who believes in, trusts in, and relies on the Lord,
 and whose hope and confidence the Lord is.

For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters that spreads out its roots by the river; and it shall not see and fear when heat comes; but its leaf shall be green. It shall not be anxious and full of care in the year of drought, nor shall it cease yielding fruit."
Above 1: After Sharpie doodle
Above 2: After colored pencil shading and highlighting
 
Usually I get ideas by being inspired by music, quotes, my surroundings, or other artists work. 
I was very inspired by this Del Barber poster I found online...
I loved the layers of the subdued colors stacked together with the texture defining brown lines on all the objects. I was fascinated by the way they exposed the layers of dirt below to show the roots and it reminded me of how we should root ourselves in Christ... or we will be fearful & fruitless.
So, I used the verse in Jeremiah for my Biblical Inspiration.
As an art teacher, I just got done teaching my students about Paper Cut-Out method done by Henri Matisse. So, I decided to use the paper cut out to get the layers I wanted of the background paper to doodle on top of. 
I started with manilla for my foreground (tree trunk and dirt), 
then brown (leaves, nest, grass, and roots), 
pink (bird and fruit),
baby blue (water), 
and finally sage green (background sky). 

You can see some of the Matisse lessons we did here if desired on my LostSock Art Teacher Blog...
http://tabithaannthelostsock.blogspot.com/2014/04/matisse-inspired-lessons.html

After I glued down the paper cut-outs, I then used Sharpies (brown, green, and rasperry) to doodle the texture on each part. After the doodle, I used colored pencils to add shading and highlights to the landscape. For the final step, I used this iridescent paper that I have been hording since childhood to cut a piece just right to layer over my water. 
I enjoyed this process so much I am planning on making more in the very near future!
Now you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment